The Federal Government says it has directed COVID-19 isolation and treatment centres across the country to prepare for reopening.
A decline in cases had prompted some of the centres to close.
However, there has been a surge in COVID-19 infections in recent weeks.
Speaking at the press briefing of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 on Thursday, Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, said he had directed that health workers be put on alert.
He lamented the surge in infections and deaths from the virus.
The minister stated that all nigerians must play their part in preventing the “explosive” spread of COVID-19.
“We are seeing the increase in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the last few days, which we have frequently alluded to in recent times,” Ehamire said.
“This rightly suggests that we may just be on the verge of a second wave of this pandemic. Last week, we recorded 1843 against 1,235 two weeks before that and 1,126 the week before that.
“In the past 24 hours, 474 new confirmed cases and 2 deaths were recorded, with an indication that this week’s figure will beat last week’s. As at today, we have crossed 70,000 mark with a total of 70,669 confirmed cases of which 65,242 have been treated and discharged. Sadly the number of deaths has now reached 1184 as against 1,167 two weeks before.
“Everyone of us has a role to play in the effort to prevent explosive spread of this infection in Nigeria. While we strive for the best, we must prepare for a possible second wave which we must ensure, does not get to be worse than what we have seen so far, judging from what we observe in other countries.
“The US, UK and other countries are going through very difficult times, and we do sympathize with them. To prepare ourselves, I have directed that all Isolation and Treatment Centres, which were hitherto closed due to reduced patient load, to be prepared for reopening and the staff complement put on alert.”