The candidacy of Senator Abdullahi Adamu, President Muhammadu Buhari’s preferred choice for the chairmanship of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has been endorsed by the governors of the ruling party in a meeting with the president on Wednesday
Also endorsed by the governors as the Deputy National Chairman (South) was the candidacy of former Senate President, Senator Ken Nnamani.
By 10pm on Wednesday, the fate of Farouk Adamu as National Deputy Chairman (North) was still being considered by the governors, although indications are rife that he might finally emerge.
Abdullahi Adamu, former Nasarawa State two-term Governor and Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has, since his endorsement by Buhari, been fighting for a general consensus following his rejection by a few powerful forces within the Presidency and at least three members of the Progressive Governors Forum (PGF).
”All those who have bought forms indicating interest and have been dropped should have their money refunded without delay,’ Buhari told other aspirants during his meeting with them at the Aso Villa.
With the above words, the President ended the hopes of other aspirants for the position of chairman at the March 26 National Convention as APC governors agreed with the choice of Adamu.
APC governors had met with the president on a final decision on who would become the chairman after the President had picked Senator Abdullahi Adamu as choice candidate more than two weeks ago.
See the full text of the President’s rem arks at the meeting with APC governors on Wednesday evening:
MARKS BY HIS EXCELLENCY, MUHAMMADU BUHARI, PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA AT THE MEETING WITH APC GOVERNORS AT THE STATE HOUSE
23RD MARCH, 2022
Let me warmly welcome all Your Excellencies and thank you for honouring this meeting called at short notice. We have a few days to the National Convention and we must collectively ensure the success of the event.
2. Your Excellencies, I would like to express my gratitude to you all for the work you have done and are doing and your continued partnership and fortified alliances with the Federal Government over the years.
3. When we came together to form the All Progressives Congress, nearly 8 years ago our goal was National Salvation, our resolve was unshakable, our motivation was patriotic and noble.
4. Consequently, by the Grace of God we were rewarded with victory in the 2015 General Elections in a free and fair election.
5. Over the last seven years we have done our best to deliver good governance to the country. We have guaranteed national food security, we have provided modern infrastructure to kick-start economic growth and we have implemented the most comprehensive social welfare programmes in our history.
6. Along the way, our party has survived shocks and attempts to derail it. Our government has also had to endure the worst economic crisis with the free fall of oil prices from an average of $100 per barrel over 15 years of PDP government to an average of $30 – $50 until the recent energy crisis.
7. We need to remind ourselves of these achievements and not be diverted by petty quarrels and unseemly jockeying for positions. It will be very sad and regrettable development if these manifest gains are frittered away as a result of internal dissent and rivalry. We must avoid narrow focus and inordinate personal ambitions at the expense of our party’s common good. We must stop frivolous and diversionary litigation when the Party’s reconciliation processes are available for settling disputes.
8. We must restore sanity and purpose in the affairs of our party and lead ourselves to victory and safety.
9. As I remarked when I met Your Excellencies in February 22nd, our aim must be to hand over to an APC Government at the Center and the great majority of states. We must not, by default allow the PDP to get its dirty hands on Government again and return us to the Stone Age.
10. As I said at that meeting, our Party chose its leadership by consensus. I again plead that we choose our next leadership by consensus. This is consistent with the spirit of democracy, the Party’s Constitution and the Nigerian Constitution.
11. I have already given my own input and other recommendations on the way forward in both my 25th February, 2022 meeting with the Chairman of the Caretaker Extraordinary Convention Committee and my 13th March, 2022 letter to the Chairman of the APC Governors Forum.
12. With the convention only two days away I implore you to come together and sort out all the remaining party positions so that within the next 24 hours we can arrive at a Unity List which we can take to the convention.
13. Finally all those who have bought forms indicating interest and have been dropped should have their money refunded without delay.
14. I count on the support and understanding of all of Your Excellencies present here today.
15. May God bless our Great Party. May God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria