Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu on Wednesday revealed that hoodlums that attacked and ransacked his palace during the #EndSARS protest in October last year stole $2million and N17million from his palace.
Oba Akiolu disclosed this during the commissioning of the newly upgraded Glover Memorial Hall in Lagos Island.
Recall that the #EndSARS protest degenerated into a major crisis when hoodlums hijacked the hitherto peaceful protest and burnt down public properties across major cities.
The Iga Idugaran palace of the Oba was invaded and looted despite the presence of soldiers.
Military officers intervened and Akiolu was rescued from the palace, while buildings within the premises were vandalised.
The monarch’s staff of office was also declared missing after the invasion, but the item was later said to have been found.
Speaking at the commissioning of the Glover memorial hall in Lagos on Wednesday, Akiolu said the state experienced the highest degree of damage compared to others.
The monarch said he has appealed to the federal government to support Lagos in its rebuilding efforts.
He decried the attack on his palace, saying those who perpetuated the act are ignorant of their actions.
“I will support anything that will move Lagos forward. I have appealed to the federal government to assist Lagos with what we have suffered. We host many people here, not Lagosians alone. The incident that happened here from October 20th to 23rd is so saddening,” he said.
“The destruction we suffered in Lagos is so enormous than in any other part of the country. Many buildings were burnt, including vehicles used to generate income. I can now say publicly that they stole away from my palace $2 million and N17 million..
“Those who committed the offence would not have done that if they know the implication. But as a father, I won’t place any curse on them.”